Saturday, 6 October 2007

The powers of reduction!

After many weeks of waiting the redrive kit finally arrived, this marked a milestone in the build as I haven't been able to move forward with building the frame until I had the redrive fitted to the engine. I was very excited and couldn't wait to open the box. When I did, I was mortified, as the kit was very badly packed and the hard metal parts had damaged the softer aluminium parts as there wasn't any padding and the parts had just been packed loose in the box! There were a few other problems as well, so all in all a real disappointment. It felt like I'd taken one step forward and two steps back.

I contacted the chap who made it and after some negotiations compensation was agreed. All of a sudden the £120.00 cost didn't seem such a bargain any more.
In the end the ratio turned out 1:3.8 rather than 1:4.1 which means the prop will be spinning a little faster than first expected but it will still be under 3000rpm, so it should be fine, hopefully!

Build cost so far £600.45


Next page