Friday, 14 August 2009

Tinkering with the engine.


I've been tinkering with the engine today, getting ready for the big day, which should have been last month but the weather has been s***, we've had so much rain, I reckon I'd have been better off building a boat!

I have been running the engine with a 16:1 oil/fuel ratio, which is what's recommended on the bottle. However this is for karting conditions, where the engine revs to over 15000 rpm. My engine only goes up to 10,800 rpm.

Another KT100 paramotor builder emailed me a couple of months ago. His machine has now done over 200 hours without any problems, which is pretty impressive. He has been using a 25:1 ratio, so I've decreased my ratio to 22:1. The engine runs much better and best of all no oily smoke covering the prop, fuel tank and frame.

Update:
After playing around with the engine it felt like the power had increase slightly, so I've just performed a basic thrust test which came out at 55kg, that's 5kg more than my original thrust test.

Not bad for a 100cc go kart engine!


Saturday, 13 October 2007

Download a copy of my Shoestring Pilot ebook and read about the entire build from start to finish.



The most expensive part of any paramotor is the engine. My machine uses a Yamaha KT100 Kart engine, which can be picked up second-hand very cheaply. Spares are inexpensive and easily available, making the KT100 a viable alternative to anybody considering building a paramotor, especially if you're on a tight budget.
With my tuned exhaust, redrive ratio and propeller combination, I managed to get a very respectable 55kg of thrust.
Read how I did it in my Shoestring Pilot ebook. --------->

----Scroll down to read sample pages of the book----

Friday, 12 October 2007

I need a plan!

Ok, after searching around on the internet for ages I came across three web sites that offered plans to build your very own paramotor or powered paraglider as it's also called. The first one was easyup which I've been aware of for a couple of years but never really felt confident enough with what was on offer to commit to buying the plans and after reading some pretty negative comments on the "out-dated design" I'm glad I stayed away.

The second web site I found offering plans to build a PPG (powered paraglider) was Skytribe which are based in South Africa, I really like the feel of this web site and it has some really useful info available and if I knew what engine I would finally end up with I would have definitely considered buying the Skytribe plans, I have subsequently spoken to Dave (the owner of Skytribe) for some advice on my engine choice (which I'll tell you about a bit later) and he has been very helpful and friendly (even though I didn't buy his plans).

The third web site I found (and the one I ended up going for) was that of Jeff Baumgartner's Skybolt design. I had a good look around the site and did quite a bit of research on the Skybolt and everyone seemed to agree that it's the best design out there for the D.I.Y. PPG builder and probably the best designed PPG yet. As well as the Skybolt being very strong and easy to build (helped by the fact you get a 2 hour step by step construction DVD with the plans) the frame is bolted together as opposed to being welded. This means that if (or more like when) the frame gets bent the damaged piece can simply be unbolted and a new section bolted in and you're ready to fly again, good ay!

So my mind was made up, and the Skybolt it is. So I ordered the plans and a week later they arrived from the US. I was very impressed with what I received, which was about 12 detailed drawings, x2 construction DVD'S and a copy of "Risk and Reward" all for $110.00 (£58.47) including shipping, I was well pleased and really eager to get going and build my very own flying machine. Before I start building the frame though I needed to decide on what engine I'm going to use, which I'll tell you about in my next post, until then bye for now :-)

Build cost so far £58.47


Next Page ->